Saturday, October 5, 2013

Fall Classes 2013

This has been a VERY busy, but productive week.  Finally getting back full speed into jewelry and I am in need of desperate rest today!

I began the weekend by cleaning out half of my 2-car garage to make room for a grinding/polishing machine, flat lap, bead maker, stone tumbler, tabletop kiln and wet saw.  I am sure I left something out, but you get the idea.

On Monday, I started my cabbing class!  The Fall series of classes started up at the St. Lucie Rock & Gem Club located at 6901 Heritage Drive in Port St. Lucie, FL.  Check out their website www.slcrockandgem.org for their complete class schedule.  Hannah is again our fearless instructor!  She has to be to handle our crew (LOL)!  Sarah, Gen, Catherine and I are at it again and there is no stopping us now!!!!  I also had my old sewing machine refurbished and will be giving my daughter, Toby, sewing lessons later in the year!

On Tuesday, I started my faceting class!  Our instructor, Jerome, decided that the Keys was a better place to spend the week, but we carried on without him.  I started on the crown of the brilliant cut Smokey Quartz I began in the last session of classes.  I am hoping to have it completed next Monday and will have a finished gemstone to show everyone!!!

On Wednesday, I was at the doctors (again), but this time for an allergy panel.  Needless to say, there is a long list, part of which are cockroaches (yuck) and cattle.  Cattle?  I live in city limits.  Don't know who is hiding cows in my neighborhood.

Wednesday night, our bi-weekly meeting of the Ladies of the Evening Bead Group took place at Catherine's clubhouse.  Always have a wonderful time with my beading sisters!!!  For the first time, in a LONG time, I was able to participate in a project.  Brought my household drill and all the other paraphernalia needed to cut jump rings and then started on a Helm's Weave chainmaille bracelet.  You cannot imagine the excitement of being able to hold and manipulate pliers in both hands after close to 3 years of uselessness!!!

On Thursday, I continued my physical therapy to release my ulnar nerve.  I am finally becoming a functioning person!  The pain down my arms and into my hands is abating and I am able to open and close my hands along with grasping items.  You cannot imagine, until you are restricted, how handicapped you are without your hands.

Friday was a LONG day.  First, I am up early for a haircut and then off to, yes, another class.  I began my first session ever in enameling.  Marilyn is a wonderful instructor and answered all my endless questions with a huge smile.  I did complete my first piece, but next week I want to do a small tweek before posting a photo.  Afterwards, I picked up Sarah from work and we traveled to West Palm Beach to access the clubhouse of the Gem & Mineral Society of the Palm Beaches, Inc.  Jeff has been an amazing help in not only slabbing "Rhodo", but in helping with identification of many of the rocks I got at the estate sale a few weeks ago.

If all the classes I am taking are not enough, next week I will be adding a glass fusion class!  The creativity is getting back into flow!!!

I am going to TRY to take it easy today, but I am so excited to be a functioning human again, I don't know how long it will last.  Photos will be coming soon and better yet, finished pieces of jewelry will be coming up for sale!

3 comments:

  1. It was so great seeing you use your many talents again on Wednesday night. This is a whole new direction you're taking and I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I'm learning from one of the best :). Thanks for all your instructions over the years. Hopefully, I can make you proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy, you already do! I'm learning from you, now!

    ReplyDelete